Friday, December 12, 2014

Nonfiction Feedback

This was the first week for the new and improved nonfiction section of the library.  Students were super excited to explore the new categories.  If I had a nickel, for each time a student asked if this was a "new" book, I could retire!  They, and I, discovered so many neat books that had been languishing on the shelves. 

I put out the Flipcam again and here is a snapshot of the videos that were recorded:
 
 
I did have a few kiddos who seemed lost and not sure where to go.  It is much like going to Nordstrom's for the first time.  So many floors.  So much to see.  Where to start?  It can be intimidating.  I'm anxious to see how things go over the next few weeks. 
 
And the unexpected AHA that happened today?  A third grader asked, "So when we return our books, we don't use the numbers anymore, right?  So, how do we put them on the cart?"  Ummm...hadn't thought about that!  Here's the cart he was talking about:


 

 I love this cart.  It was one of the first things I bought for my library and I worked really hard teaching the students to look at the spine of the book and put it in the correct spot.  We have almost 500 kids checking out multiple books.  That is ALOT of books to shelve by myself.
 
Thank goodness for 1/2 days for students, and a delayed meeting with Kelly, because I was able to make some very quick changes. I removed the numbers and added the stickers from each category.  I tried to anticipate the most highly visited categories and combine those with lesser visited ones.
 


 
We are going to live with this for a week or so and then I plan on making 2x2 copies of the icons and finalizing the placement of them on the cart.
 
Shortly afterward, Kelly arrived and we spent a couple of hours working on the submission for Common Ground 2015.  It is hard to believe only a month has gone by since all of this started.  We had so much to reflect upon and even more "next steps" to complete.
 
Check back later this weekend as I am going to crunch some numbers and see how circulation fared in the new nonfiction section.


No comments:

Post a Comment