Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Nightmare Before Winter Break (Warning: Negativity Below)

Ok, since I promised to be honest, I am just going to put it all out there and say I AM OVERWHELMED, FREAKED-OUT and STRESSED!  I know this will pass and I keep telling myself to breathe in and breathe out but I feel like this:
 
 
Why you may ask?  Let me count the ways...
1) Despite spending a large chunk of time prepping the nonfiction section by physically stacking the books on the shelves, in their new homes, this task was not finished until 3:45pm on Monday.  Why is this a problem?  No other prep (like cutting out signage) was completed.
2) Even with crews of 7 and 8 people working for 3 hour stretches over 2 evenings, the shelves are still not ready for student check-out because they are either a) on the shelf but not organized or b) not standing on the shelves just laid there. (I will post pictures tomorrow and this will be clear.) 
3) I have a TON of books that need to be weeded (due to age and such) and a very present looming deadline to have this done so that my collection is accurately reflected for uploading for funding of new materials.  This is tedious and time consuming.  It involves either removing the back page and sending to the library office or doing it myself.  I started removing back pages to send to the library office and sticking them in a box.  My custodian (whom I dearly love!) emptied the box in her typical awesome efficient way of making the library look fabulous!  She assumed it was trash.  Now I need to pull those books out of the boxes and get them on a cart so I can delete them by hand.  Holy Setback Batman!
4) The Area Superintendent is coming for a scheduled school visit and I don't want to make myself, my principal or the library office look bad by having a library in disarray. I have a scheduled library meeting this afternoon so I am out of the building but I will be back to work afterwards to get it "company ready".
5) And...the holiday books aren't out yet and the library displays are not up for December and...
6) My refrigerator is dying so we had to go shopping last night, after a very long day, to buy a new one. CA-CHING! (Although my husband did appreciate the fact that I did not do my typical back and forth trying to decide which one to choose.  Fatigue can be a plus!)
7) I am looking ahead at trying to think about a plan for entering the location into Destiny for the Nonfiction and Fiction books and the deadline for submitting the Common Ground proposal.

Ok, so the whining is over for now.  I promise to get back to my more positive self by next post (whenever that may be!).

No comments:

Post a Comment