Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Calm Before The Storm

Tomorrow is the BIG day.  We begin to genrefication of the nonfiction section.  I must be honest and say that I am STRESSED.  It seems like an awfully large project to accomplish in 2 days. 

After an early closing Wednesday, and start to the Thanksgiving Break, I chose to take the long weekend and recharge with my family.  Spending time with my son who was home from college, enjoying family and even participating in a bit of retail therapy.  But now it is time for a reality check with a full inbox and a plan for the next 2 days.  I began shifting some books last week in hopes of getting a jump start on moving the titles in my nonfiction section.  Let's just say there is still much to do.

But, lest I get too overwhelmed with the tough stuff, first some statistics!  I ran a Collection Circulation Report for 11/18/14-11/26/14 (the first week of the new genrefied Fiction section) and 425 Fiction books were checked out.  I compared that to the same time period for the year before (I checked and Thanksgiving was on the 28th last year) and 251 Fiction books were checked out in that same time period.  That is an almost 60% increase in book check outs for the same time frame.  I realize there is a novelty factor that is occurring but I will take it!

So this is the plan for my upcoming week:
Monday - Work AM, work with Chimere in PM to ready for the crew coming in from 4-7pm (thanks to my principal graciously allowing me to get a 1/2 day sub), present at Faculty Meeting at 4pm, work with crew until 7pm.
Tuesday - Pray for cooperating weather so I can teach all day and work with the crew to finish (hopefully) the nonfiction section.
Wednesday- Area Superintendent visits and I am sure she will be stopping by to see the changes so I better be ready! Afternoon attend Professional Development session
Thursday and Friday - Capture student reactions to the change.

For those of you keeping up, here's the REVISED revised timeline from this post:

1) Create classification headings for the FICTION section of the library based upon the interests of my students and DESTINY classifications.
2) Work with the library office to design spine labels that include a graphic and word for each section. A matching larger sign will be created to be displayed above sections.
3) Complete Fiction section re-do by Friday, November 14th. Just in time for American Education Week!
4) Create classification headings for the NONFICTION section of the library by Friday the 21st!
5) See #2

6)Complete the NONFICTION section re-do by December 3rd. That's right!  Just 2 short days!!!!!
7) Remember to run circulation reports and statistics before during and after the process.
8) Document, in pictures, the transformation.
9) Document, via this brand new blog, the transformation highs and lows.
10) Complete Common Ground proposal before December 21st.
11) Update library wiki (Ok, let's be honest, CREATE library wiki)12) BREATHE!
13) Finish the signage for the Fiction section.

Wish us luck.  Photos and reflections to follow but probably not until Wednesday!


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am doing some research on genrefication as part of my master's project, and I have been looking through your blogs hoping to find some statistics on your circulation from pre to post genrefication. Would you be willing to share those totals with me? I would greatly appreciate it!
    I can be reached at shana.celentano@gulfportschools.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shana, How exciting! I have sent you a personal email. Good luck with your research.

      Delete